Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Cranky.

Pretty cranky right now. Not so psyched with the faculty at MassArt. I feel like there's so much riding on Stephen's and my shoulders for SGA. So far, we've gotten no thanks for putting together the All School Show from ANY faculty besides Andy Fish. In fact, he was the only one who even asked me how it was going throughout the month-long process it took to put together. The only thing any other faculty asked was when the show was.

Maybe they'll thank us when they see how great everything turned out. Either way, I've seen no gratitude for ANYTHING else Stephen and I have done.

For the two field trips last year, I made flyers. I couldn't even go on either of the field trips because I had to work. But I still made them and gave people plenty of time to prepare. I was responsible.

And for the t-shirt contest, due to the amount of time and energy Stephen and I spend on our school work, it just couldn't happen last semester. Things were too hectic, and I feel like we made a lot of people sad. But we had no help! I don't even know how to silkscreen on fabric.

For the most recent field trip coming up to the Society of Illustrators in New York, we got so little money from the budget that in order to get there, we'd have to take the Fung Wah bus. "The faculty" told Stephen that was no good, and that we should get a real bus instead. He told her that we didn't have the money to, and "the faculty" suggested that they might maybe help with the cost then. But I haven't seen a dime from the department since I've been at MassArt.

Regarding the Surtex trip in May, the same thing happened. We were asked to cut our t-shirt contest budget to account for the trip, when the department had already told us they were paying for the whole thing. It pisses me off - you can't ask us at the last minute. SGA money is for student run activities, not department field trips.

Also, just the fact that students are expected each year to participate in SGA and support the department is ludicrous. Students have work to be doing. The faculty should be at least HELPING run things, working out the budgets with SGA reps or even just showing them how to fill out the freaking paperwork.

What I'm getting at is that, for the amount of work that Stephen and I put in to support the students in our department (as well as the faculty), we get no love. No pat on the back. No "Thanks for putting the time in to run all of our events while maintaining perfect attendance and producing professional-quality artwork." Nada.

So fuck Illustration. I can't wait to graduate. If it weren't for people like Andy and Mister Roosh working there, I'd go fucking insane.

Blah.

No comments:

Post a Comment